All degree-seeking students are automatically assigned an advisor. You can find your current advisor by looking at your Degree Audit Report.

How Advisors Get Assigned

Faculty members at Bemidji State serve as academic advisors to students. There are many academic advisors on campus, and there are specific variables that are considered when faculty advisor assignments are made.

  1. If you are participating in an area-wide campus program such as Honors, FYRE (First Year Residential Experience) or TRIO/SSS (Student Support Services), you will be assigned to a faculty advisor involved with the program, or
  2. If you have declared a major, you will be assigned to a faculty member in your major department, or
  3. If you have not declared a major, you will be assigned to your First Year Experience (FYE) instructor or to an advisor-at-large who will assist you in an advising capacity until you have selected a major.

The Advising Partnership

Bemidji State University is strongly committed to the concept of the ‘Advising Partnership.’ Your faculty advisor serves as a guide to the university curriculum and academic policy requirements. It is your advisor’s responsibility to guide and counsel. It is your responsibility to make final decisions.

You should discuss the following with your advisor:

  1. Problems that may be impacting your academic performance
  2. Selection of courses for the upcoming semester
  3. Credit load
  4. Repeating courses
  5. Decision to add or drop courses
  6. Academic progress
  7. Selection or change of major
  8. Plans for degree completion
  9. Internship opportunities/career consideration

How to Change Your Advisor

You may need to change your advisor if you change your major. If so, follow these steps:

  1. Identify a faculty member who is willing to be your advisor.
  2. Fill out the Advisor Change Form.
  3. Have your new advisor sign the completed form. (Your former advisor does not need to sign this form.)
  4. Submit the form to the Advising Success Center.
  5. The Advising Success Center will process your request and notify your former advisor of the change. Requests are usually processed within 5 business days.