How to Return to BSU

If you previously were admitted to, or completed courses with BSU and then took some time away, you may need some guidance on where to start. These resources are for you!

Most forms you may need to return can be found here.

Re-Applying for Admission

If you have been away for more than a year, it’s a good idea to apply for re-admission. We’ll use your new app to update your personal and academic information, and restart your access to technology resources you’ll need.

Reinstating your Technology Access

As long as your StarID is/was connected to BSU, and you have updated your StarID password, you should still have access to BSU eServices and D2L Brightspace.

BSU email account and MyBSU access: These tools typically require you to be registered for classes before you can regain access. If you are not on academic suspension, you may register for classes in eServices using your StarID and password — you do not need to login to MyBSU to register. Note that your email and MyBSU account access may take up to 24 hours to return, after you successfully register for classes.

If you return during a period when registration is not open, please contact the BSU HelpDesk or a BSU Transfer Advisor so we can offer a solution. Re-applying to BSU is usually enough to reset your admission status and regain access to email and MyBSU tools.

Returning after Enrollment in BSU Courses

Depending on whether you attended courses elsewhere or did not, your path will be different.

With No Attendance Elsewhere

Previously-enrolled students usually do not need to re-apply for admission to BSU. It is best to connect with the BSU Records office to be sure your account is updated with new information, and to ensure you don’t have any active holds preventing registration. This is a good time to update your major and catalog year (requirements change frequently). Also check with the BSU Advising Success Center regarding your faculty advisor. That person will change depending on your major, and a few other factors.

With Attendance Elsewhere In Between

If you attended BSU, then stepped away and enrolled at another college or university (or several), you may not need to reapply to BSU. However, we do require that you request official transcripts from any school(s) you’ve attended in the meantime, so that we may transfer the credits you’ve earned. Having these documents on file is also required for financial aid verification. If we do not receive these transcripts, your financial aid eligibility and/or enrollment eligibility may be compromised.

In general, in these cases it is always best to connect with a BSU Transfer Advisor. They can help update your account and ensure that we have all the information needed for a successful return. You will want to update your address, phone number, personal email address, and other information by submitting the Student Personal Data Form to the BSU Records office. This form is also used to update your major program, should you be changing it upon your return.

Returning after Admission Without BSU Enrollment

If you were admitted previously, but did not attend the term indicated on your application, your admission status may change. Here are the most common situations and tips for moving forward:

Application Expiration

An application (and the admitted student status) is good for up to one year after the term for which a student applies. For example, if you are admitted for a Fall 2022 start, your application and admission status is valid through Fall 2023, but not Spring 2024 or later. We will retain submitted college and high school transcripts for up to five years from the time of admission for students who do not enroll, so being re-admitted should be quick and cost-free.

Deferring Enrollment

If you had planned to start in one term, but need to defer enrollment to a future term within 12 months, please contact your admissions representative or Transfer Advisor to request an enrollment deferral. You do not need to re-apply for the future term, unless it is beyond 12 months from your original start term.

Returning after Academic and/or Financial Aid Suspension

Logging in to eServices (see the top part of this page) should inform you of any active holds on your account that would prevent a successful return. The two most common holds are for academic suspension and financial aid suspension. In most cases, a new application to BSU is not needed. Instead, you will need to submit one or both of the following petitions:

Academic Suspension Petition: Submit this petition to the BSU Records office, as indicated on the form. Attach any supporting documents or letters of recommendation.

Petition for Reinstatement of Financial Aid: Submit this petition to the BSU Financial Aid office, as indicated on the form. Attach any supporting documents, including an academic plan that can be done in consultation with the BSU Advising Success Center, or with your BSU Transfer Advisor.

Other holds: If you discover other holds on your account, please connect with the appropriate office for resolution.