Below is a list of what is available, including any additional criteria. If your award notification includes grants, you are not required to formally accept them; they will automatically be applied to your student bill.


The Federal Pell Grant is the foundation of federal student aid, awarded to undergraduate students with the lowest Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The award amount changes annually and varies with your level of enrollment. Federal Pell Grant recipients must finalize all registration within the first 30 days of the semester. A student who withdraws from one or more courses within the first 30 days of the semester will have their Pell Grant award reduced to the adjusted level of enrollment. Pell Grant eligibility is limited to 12 full-time semesters or the equivalent. Learn more about federal pell grants.

Like the Pell Grant, the FSEOG is awarded to undergraduate students with the lowest EFC. Priority must be given to Pell Grant recipients. Very limited funds are available, so it is critical to apply as early as possible to be considered for this grant. Learn more about federal supplemental education opportunity grants.

The Minnesota State Grant is awarded to undergraduate Minnesota residents with a low EFC attending a MN post-secondary institution. Once a student has attempted the equivalent of 4 full-time years of post-secondary education, the student is no longer eligible for the grant. Awards change on a per credit basis for enrollment between 3 and 15 credits. The FAFSA has to be completed and received by the school within the first 30 days of the semester. Find more information about Minnesota’s state grants.

The MN Dream Act provides certain benefits to undocumented students who meet the following criteria: attended a MN high school for at least 3 years; graduated from a MN high school or earned a GED in MN; complied with Selective Service registration requirements (applies only to male students ages 18 to 25); provide documentation to show they have applied for lawful immigration status but only if a federal process exists for a student to do so (does not include applying for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals).  There is currently not a federal process in place so this documentation is not currently required.

An Education and Training Voucher (ETV) provides up to $5,000 per award year to pay for post-secondary education, including:  tuition and fees, books, housing, transportation, child care, other school-related expenses. More information about the Minnesota Education and Teaching Voucher.

This program is designed to provide eligible Minnesota residents a tuition-free pathway for earning a certificate, diploma, associate’s degree and bachelor’s degree in high-need careers. Funding comes from the State of Minnesota and is awarded to eligible students after grants and scholarships have been paid.

Eligible Bemidji State University Programs:

  • Accounting
  • Addictions
  • Applied Engineering
  • Applied Management
  • Aquatic Biology
  • Biochemistry, Cellular & Molecular Biology
  • Biology
  • Business Administration
  • Chemistry
  • Coaching
  • Community Health
  • Computer Information Systems (CIS)
  • Computer Science
  • Criminal Justice
  • Design
  • Economics
  • Elementary Teacher Education
  • Engineering Technology
  • English
  • English Education
  • Environmental Studies
  • Exercise Science
  • Geography
  • Global Studies
  • Health Education
  • History
  • Indigenous Studies
  • Indigenous Sustainability Studies
  • Lean Six Sigma
  • Marketing Communication
  • Mass Communications
  • Mathematics
  • Mathematics Education
  • Medical Laboratory Science
  • Music
  • Music Education
  • Nursing
  • Physical Education
  • Political Science
  • Project Management
  • Psychology
  • Science Education
  • Social Studies
  • Social Studies Education
  • Social Work
  • Spanish
  • Spanish Education
  • Sports Management
  • Sustainability & Resource Management
  • Technology Manager
  • Wildlife Biology

Income Eligibility

  • Have a Family Adjusted Gross Income (AGI)* reported on FAFSA or MN Dream Act Application of less than $50,000
  • Have a Family AGI* reported on FAFSA or State Aid Application of less than $100,000 and have worked in a critical industry listed in Executive Order 20-74 at least part-time between March 1, 2020 – December 31, 2021; OR received unemployment benefits between March 1, 2020 – December 31, 2021

*Family AGI for a dependent student includes parent and student AGI and for an independent student it includes student and spouse AGI.

Other Eligibility Factors:

  • You first enrolled during the 2021-22 or later OR you are returning to college and have not been enrolled at any college in the last three semesters
  • Meet the Minnesota residency criteria
  • Not have already earned a baccalaureate degree
  • Not in default on a state or federal student loan
  • Not on a SAP/FA suspension

Student eligibility for the grant will be determined every semester. You will need to fill out the FAFSA each year. A student who receives a grant one semester is not guaranteed to receive funding for the next semester. Eligibility is subject to the availability of funds and any changes in your enrollment, FAFSA or other financial aid may change the amount you receive each semester.

More details about the Minnesota Future Together Grant. 

If you are eligible for a Minnesota Future Together Grant, your college will contact you with an award amount or additional questions to determine your eligibility.

If you do not receive a communication from the Financial Aid Office but believe that you are eligible, please send us an email to review your file.

The MN GI Bill program provides assistance to eligible MN Veterans, currently serving military, National Guard and Reserve members who served after September 11, 2001 and eligible spouse and children. Additional information and Minnesota’s GI Bill application.

Minnesota residents who are one-fourth or more American Indian or who are an enrolled member or citizen of a federally-recognized American Indian tribe or Canadian First Nation may be eligible for the Minnesota Indian Scholarship Program. Students of American Indian ancestry may also be eligible for a Tribal Grant. Students should contact their individual Tribal Education Office for specific information and application forms.

Available to undergraduate and graduate students who are Minnesota residents, meet income guidelines and have out of pocket child care expenses are considered for this grant. The student must have a dependent child 12 years of age or younger or a dependent child with a disability 14 year or younger who will be receiving care regularly. Eligibility is restricted to those students who are not receiving Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) benefits. Funds are limited and applications are processed until all funds are awarded. Learn more about the Minnesota Postsecondary Child Care Grant or submit your application now.

MN Student Teacher Grants provide postsecondary financial assistance to eligible students enrolled in MN teacher preparation programs during one term in which the student is completing a required 12-week or more student teaching experience.  The grant is intended to serve low-income students who meet one or more of three eligible definitions.

These are the three ways a student may be eligible for one of the programs: Belong to an underrepresented racial or ethnic group; intend to teach in a license shortage area; intend to teach in a rural school district in MN after graduating and receiving their teaching license.

Students must complete the FAFSA or MN Dream Act application for the aid year, showing demonstrated financial need. Apply for a Minnesota Student Teacher Grant.

Awarded to undergraduate and graduate students admitted into a designated high-need subject area at BSU with a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher. Within 8 years of completing/ceasing their program, the student must teach full time for four years in their high-need area in a designated low income school or the TEACH Grant will become an unsubsidized loan with accrued interest. Additional information can be found in the TEACH Grant Application and the TEACH Grant Information Sheet.

BSU provides individual grants to deserving athletes. The grants are awarded by the coaches in each sport and may vary in amounts based upon individual athletic ability. Athletic grants are regulated by BSU, NCAA and league rules and regulations.

The Ethel Curry American Indian Leadership Scholarship (ECS) is an annual award administered by the Minnesota Department of Education. This scholarship aids American Indian students in their pursuit of higher education.

Awards generally range from $1000-$5000 per academic year, but may vary. The scholarship is open from March 1 to May 31 annually.

To be eligible for priority consideration, an applicant must meet the following requirements:

  • An enrolled member of a Federally recognized tribe;
  • Attending an accredited college or university in Minnesota;
  • Pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree;
  • Have a minimum GPA of 2.0 for undergraduate applicants and a 3.0 for graduate applicants.
  • Applicants must be able to demonstrate leadership qualities within the American Indian community.

The Ethel Curry American Indian Leadership Scholarship Application is a fillable form and must be downloaded prior to use. Applicants who are not able to use fillable forms may print the application and fill it out by hand. Applications must be submitted March 1 – May 31.

Educational benefits for tuition assistance may be available through the Rural MN CEP Office for students who are in their senior year of college. This program is income based as well.

Educational benefits are available for people with disabilities to help achieve their employment and independent living goals. More about eligibility criteria.